On April 25, 1782, the cornerstone of San Francisco de Asis, now known as Mission Dolores, was laid with rock quarried from Rockaway Quarry (now Pacifica) by Native American slaves. Entombed in the cornerstone were:
--"The image of our holy father St. Francis"
--"Bones of St. Pius"
--"Bones of other martyrs"
--"Five medals of saints"
--"A goodly portion of silver coin"
To this day, Mission Dolores houses more than 5,000 sets of Native American remains from the Peninsula.